Friday, July 24, 2020

Jul 16 20, 1:32 pm

COVID-19: Active cases in UAE down to 8,000+

The Ministry of Health and Protection (MoHaP) recently conducted an additional 48,000 tests that led to the discovery of 281 new cases, bringing the total number of confirmed COVID-19 patients to 56,129. For the second day in a row, MoHaP reported no new deaths from...

66 more Saudi OFWs’ bodies to arrive in PH on July 19

More than 60 more remains of overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) from Saudi Arabia are slated to be repatriated this weekend, said an official of the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) on Thursday. “There is a schedule on July 19 and we are looking at about 66...

ABS-CBN to lay off workers on August 31

by | News

Jul. 16, 20 | 1:32 pm

ABS-CBN Corporation has announced on July 15 that they will lay off workers on August 31.

After the denial of its franchise renewal, the network issued a statement regarding their decision to let go of workers, adding that it is the “only way to ensure the continued employment” of the rest of its employees.

“With the non-renewal of its congressional franchise, ABS-CBN is now forced to cease the operations of some of its businesses and implement a retrenchment program covering ABS-CBN and its subsidiaries effective end of business day on 31 August 2020,” the company said in a statement.

The company, however, said that they will settle their separation and retirement benefits, as well as provide the employees job placement programs.

“The loss of their jobs comes at a time when the uncertain and perilous impact of the COVID 19 pandemic further makes our decision truly difficult, but inevitable,” the statement added.

Since the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) ABS-CBN to stop its broadcast operations on May 5, the network had been losing PHP30 to 35 million every day in advertising revenues.

READ ALSO: NTC to issue a cease and desist order vs. Channel 43, TV Plus for airing ABS-CBN programs

The company’s President and CEO Carlo Katigbak earlier said in a senate hearing that if the network cannot get back on air, they would have no choice but to retrench workers.

In addition, former head of ABS-CBN corporate services group Mark Nepomuceno, noted in the separate hearing that the non-renewal would jeopardize the livelihood of over 11,000 of the company’s employees—including those working in its subsidiaries and those working as independent contractors.

“For those who are affected, we pray for you and your families, that you may have the strength and guidance to deal with the challenges ahead. For all that you have done for ABS-CBN, maraming salamat po,” concluded the statement.

Read ABS-CBN’s statement below:

With the non-renewal of its congressional franchise, ABS-CBN is now forced to cease the operations of some of its businesses and implement a retrenchment program covering ABS-CBN and its subsidiaries effective end of business day on 31 August 2020.

We are doing all we can to mitigate the pain that will be felt by those affected, including paying out separation and retirement benefits and providing job placement programs.  The loss of their jobs comes at a time when the uncertain and perilous impact of the COVID-19 pandemic further makes our decision truly difficult, but inevitable.

As much as it hurts us to implement this retrenchment program, this is the only way to ensure the continued employment of the rest of our Kapamilya.

For those who are affected, we pray for you and your families, that you may have the strength and guidance to deal with the challenges ahead.  For all that you have done for ABS-CBN, maraming salamat po.

SEE ALSO: ABS-CBN celebrities take pay cut as network loses over PHP30 million every day

Jobs

Latest News

COVID-19: Active cases in UAE down to 8,000+

COVID-19: Active cases in UAE down to 8,000+

The Ministry of Health and Protection (MoHaP) recently conducted an additional 48,000 tests that led to the discovery of 281 new cases, bringing the total number of confirmed COVID-19 patients to 56,129. For the second day in a row, MoHaP reported no new deaths from...

Recent posts

We listed over 1,000,000 jobs from United Arab Emirates monthly.

Accomodation option available in the market.

THE FILIPINO TIMES is the biggest and most trusted Filipino newspaper in the UAE.

It has a print run of 60,000 copies and 250,000 readership per week; bolstered by 2.5 million visitors to its website every month. It also has an e-newsletter sent to its 250,000 subscribers every day.

The Filipino Times is FREE and has the widest targeted circulation across the 7 emirates of the UAE.

With more than 2,500 strategic distribution spots, TFT is available where the Filipinos are - at Smart Bus Shelters, Metro Stations, restaurants, supermarkets, schools, airport lounges, Emirates and Etihad Philippine-bound flights, churches, Filipino community events and many more.

THE FILIPINO TIMES. We are where the Filipinos are.

FOLLOW US

SIGN UP FOR NEWSLETTER

BROCHURES

THE FILIPINO TIMES is the biggest and most trusted Filipino newspaper in the UAE.

It has a print run of 60,000 copies and 250,000 readership per week; bolstered by 2.5 million visitors to its website every month. It also has an e-newsletter sent to its 250,000 subscribers every day.

The Filipino Times is FREE and has the widest targeted circulation across the 7 emirates of the UAE.

With more than 2,500 strategic distribution spots, TFT is available where the Filipinos are - at Smart Bus Shelters, Metro Stations, restaurants, supermarkets, schools, airport lounges, Emirates and Etihad Philippine-bound flights, churches, Filipino community events and many more.

THE FILIPINO TIMES. We are where the Filipinos are.

FOLLOW US

SIGN UP FOR NEWSLETTER

BROCHURES

© 2020 The Filipino Times. All rights reserved

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

More in News
Philippines bares list of licensed COVID-19 testing facilities for overseas travel
Published On  July 16, 2020
Duterte maintains GCQ in Metro Manila until July 31
Published On  July 16, 2020
PH breaches 61,000-mark in COVID-19 cases as it confirms 2,498 newly infected patients
Published On  July 16, 2020
Close